Monday, November 22, 2010

Listening to "The General Specific" by Band of Horses. Gettin a little dance on while making some poblano corn soup.



Once again, I didn't particularly enjoy this, but the boy loved it. So I'll have to keep it in the recipe files....just in case he ever asks for it again.

The recipe I based this off was from a Cooking Light magazine. I majorly altered the recipe, and wish I had altered it even more. I found the soup very bland. The recipe actually had the word "spicy" in the title, but it wasn't at all spicy...something that I think would have made me like it more. The original recipe had a bunch of microwaving also. I don't particularly like using the microwave, so I did it mostly on the stove top.


Poblano Corn Soup

1 16oz bag of microwave steam sweet yellow corn
4 poblano peppers
1/2 yellow onion
2 cups milk
3/4 tsp salt


Directions:

1)Chop peppers and onion. In a large pot, cook with approximately 2 tbsp of oil. Meanwhile, steam the corn according to package directions.
2)Once peppers and onions are softened, add milk and bring to a boil. Then add salt.
3)Add about 1/2 of the corn and puree using an immersion blender. Then add the rest of the corn.
4)Serve warm!

The original recipe said to add cheddar cheese as a topping, but Manuel liked it without any toppings. If I make this again, I think I'd add some jalapeno or serrano for spice. Maybe some garlic and/or cumin.


Update on the Chicken Tortilla Soup: None of it made it to Manuel over the weekend. I ate it all at work over the next few days. I realized it was too spicy for him to really enjoy, and I enjoyed it too much to buy the disgusting prepared food from the cafe at work. Next time, I definitely will not be using the habanero tomato mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment